DESIGN MANAGEMENT, DESIGN DIRECTION, VISUAL DESIGN, BRANDING, CAMPAIGN
This was an April Fools initiative between the Cheapflights in-house Communications and Creative Services teams with the PR agency Frank PR. The concept was created in-house will full branding, responsive web page design and social media promotion with Frank PR being commissioned to deliver 6 full campaign adverts and form media partnerships to reach out to all top tier media on the morning of April 1st 2016.
Branding & Identity
Hipster Air needed to be believable as a brand so its' segmentation needed to be fully embraced and investigated. Our key aims were to create a flying experience that harkened back to the retro heyday of flight, but with a modern twist that appealed to a younger globalised audience. Vintage revival meeting effortless cool. I worked with the project lead to direct the design and set the visual brand designer to investigate the brand identity, colour, typography and graphical elements to create a kit that could be shared with all stake holders involved.
Following on from the brand investigation and using the visual identity kit produced, I created a responsive landing page that would be the core deliverable for the campaign. Campaign goals for the page included: Drive traffic to the site, get users to experience the product, engage with the brand and garner newsletter sign ups.
The heart of the page was an interactive map displaying all routes 'Hipster Air' serviced. The map was divided by continent and the 'Hipster' destinations listed directly below. Each 'Neighbourhood' was a link that would direct the user to the Cheapflights site to a destination page start a search for the best air fare.
Running throughout the page the learn more links would trigger the 'joke' and the April fool's screen exposed with a competition entry form and an opt-in for the newsletter subscription.
The Creative Services team acted as style consultants and brand ambassadors for the photoshoot with Frank PR for the visual identity of the 'Hipster Air' brand which included consultation on location, models, outfits and the visual treatment of the adverts.
Promotion and Results
Editorial & Social Media
The campaign was promoted through social media channels (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram) with supported in-house editorial content. Utilising designers with key strengths in branding and marketing a static infographic of the interactive map was prepared and picked up by the media for their own features along with a full suite of display banner templates being created for both paid and organic promotion. Passing over the templates allowed the content and social media team to rapidly test and change banners when required based on analytics of engagement without having to directly approach a designer every time a change was requested.
- The campaign generated 30,000 impressions over 24hrs
- Social media user engagements included 14,000 on Facebook, 16,000 on Instagram, 800 on Twitter and 70 on LinkedIn
- Campaign promotion generated approximately 400 competition entries and 100 opt-in Newsletter sign ups
- Number of placements of the campaign exceeded 35 with continued link building over the following week. Placements included the MailOnline, the Telegraph, the Washington Post, ITV news and other consumer and trade publications with a notable mention from The Drum quoted as being one of The Best April Fools Pranks of 2016
My role to manage the in-house design direction, visual design and social assets expedited the campaign delivery in under two weeks and saved money to be channelled into paid for promotion. Using the performance report and sharing the results with the Creative Services team improvements were made on:
- Communication with all departments involved for paid campaigns going forward
- Scheduling and allocating design resource
- Selecting and advising on best for purpose assets with time budgets in mind
- Campaign delivery needed to be scheduled earlier so campaigns could be included in newsletter send outs
Client: Cheapflights Role: Design Management & Direction, Visual Design Design Team: Designer Manager, Graphic Designer, Marketing Designer